2022 Global Development Photo Contest
The King Center on Global Development invites Stanford undergraduate and graduate students, as well as predoctoral research fellows and postdoctoral scholars, to submit photos to King Center's 2022 Global Development Photo Contest.
Submitted photographs must have been taken by the entrant within the three years prior to the submission date. Only Stanford students and researchers enrolled for autumn quarter 2023, as well as current predocs and postdocs, can submit their photos.
The contest welcomes photo submissions relevant to themes of global poverty and development. These could include, but are not limited to:
- poverty alleviation
- global health
- environmental challenges
- urbanization or infrastructure
- working conditions.
Submissions will be accepted through October 17th, 2022.
- Photos will be judged on technical quality, composition, creativity, originality, and sense of place.
- Winners will be announced by November 1, 2022.
- Three winners will be selected and will receive $100 each and a print of their winning photo.
- Photos will be displayed in the King Center offices and may be used in printed materials and/or online.
For a photo in which a person is recognizable, you should secure a model release from the subject wherever possible. If the individual is a minor, you will need parental or guardian consent. Releases are generally not required from people who are identifiable in a photograph of a street or public place provided that the photograph is reasonably related to the subject matter and the identifiable people are not the focus of the photograph. A sample release can be found here.
How to enter
Upload one photograph per submission using the submission form; there is a limit of three photographs per person. A new entry form will need to be completed for each upload.
The submission window is now closed.
In order to be considered for prizes, please include the following information on the submission form.
- Your first and last name
- Stanford email address
- Department, degree, and projected graduation year (if applicable)
- Location the photo was taken (city and country)
- Month and year the photo was taken
- Photo title
- A short description of the photo you’re submitting (what/who, your connection, when and why the photo was taken, etc.)
All digital files must be 10 megabytes or smaller, must be in a .jpg or .png format. Please submit the highest-quality image you have within these parameters. Please name your entries in the following manner: last name_first name_location, e.g. Smith_John_Dhaka_Bangladesh.
Please note, by entering the contest, entrants grant Stanford University a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce, and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, scholarly, and all other standard purposes. Any photograph reproduced will include credits as feasible. Neither the King Center on Global Development nor Stanford University will be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses.