Innovations in Methods and Data
The emerging challenges facing the poor around the world are increasingly complex, and can be difficult to measure and track over time. Methodological advances are needed to generate and use novel data sources that can better inform the issues at play as well as improve the ability of governments and other stakeholders to monitor and measure the effectiveness of programs and policies that tackle these challenges.
- Professor of Economics
- Professor of Medicine
- Postdoctoral Fellow | 2021 - 2023
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Postdoctoral Fellow | Sustainability and Artificial Intelligence Lab
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Postdoctoral Scholar | Department of Bioengineering
- Postdoctoral Fellow | 2020 - 2022
- Landau Professor in Economics Policy
- Assistant Professor of Management Science and Engineering
- Professor of Earth System Science
- Postdoctoral Fellow | Woods Institute for the Environment
- Henry J. Kaiser, Jr. Professor, School of Medicine
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow | Center on Democracy, Development and the Rule of Law
- Postdoctoral Scholar | Radiological Sciences Laboratory
- Professor of Biology
- Assistant Professor of Finance
Stanford research ushers in a ‘new frontier’ in tackling global poverty
In the first real-world test of a tool pioneered at Stanford to better evaluate anti-poverty policies, a new study shows the economic benefits of expanding electricity access.
November 16, 2022
Detecting modern-day slavery from the sky
Using AI to analyze satellite images, researchers say it’s possible to spot illegal deforestation and forced labor in the Amazon rainforest.
August 26, 2022
How satellites and AI can fix development data problems
Researchers of the Data for Development initiative introduce machine learning applied to satellite imagery as a solution to measuring sustainable development globally.
June 24, 2022
Related Working Papers
- Athey, S., Karlan, D., Palikot, E., & Yuan, Y. (2023). Smiles in Profiles: Improving Fairness and Efficiency Using Estimates of User Preferences in Online Marketplaces.
- Chandrasekhar, A., Duflo, E., Kremer, M., Pugliese, J., Robinson, J., & Schilbach, F. (2022). Blue Spoons: Sparking Communication About Appropriate Technology Use.
- Fei, J., Wolff, J., Hotard, M., Ingham, H., Khanna, S., Lawrence, D., Tesfaye, B., Weinstein, J., Yasenov, V., & Hainmueller, J. (2022). Automated Chat Application Surveys Using WhatsApp: Evidence from Panel Surveys and a Mode Experiment.